Monday, February 25, 2013

unseparation


Read Exodus 26 and Hebrews 10

And the veil shall separate for you the Holy place from the Most Holy. Exodus 26:33

Unlike animals, we humans make lots of divisions. We separate one thing from another.

Our buildings divide the inside from the outside. Our homes divide the personal from the public. Our bedrooms divide the family from the intimate.

Our days divide the workday from the weekday, from the holiday.

Our relationships divide from the public, from our friends, from our family, from our spouses.

I know a fastidious man who careful divides the food on his plate. He eats one item, then he turns his plate and eats the next item.

When I was a child, adults were divided from children. Every adult was called Mr. or Miss, or Mrs. and one was required to speak clearly and loudly when one talked to an adult.

Perhaps the most important distinction of all is what divides what is mine from anybody else’s.

The girl I eventually married would ask me continually, “What are you thinking?” Until I met her, I felt strongly that my thoughts were my own business. More than anything else of mine, I kept my thoughts as my own thoughts. It took me a long time to be able to honestly and completely share with this person my thoughts.

There is nothing more distinct than God and man. He is all that we are not. He knows fully; we know just a little. He is all powerful; we are continually made aware of our limitations. He is so good; we always fall short of being good. Most of all, He is holy; and we are common and profane, and doomed to die and return to dust.

Incredibly, God came to Earth. Though He is omnipresent, He located Himself above the mercy seat and between the cherubim on the Ark of the Covenant. But that place was veiled and covered; separating it from where a person might go.

When the Lord Jesus died, the Great Separation ended. The separating veil was torn from top to bottom. Mark 15:38

The writer of Hebrews tells us, “Since we have confidence to enter the holy place by the blood of Jesus, let us draw near with a true heart and in full assurance.” From Hebrews 10: 19-21

When I got married, all distinctions between myself and my new wife were dismantled. There was no longer my stuff, my space, my thoughts, my problems. Everything became ours together.

It was a very good thing to become so unseparated.

How much better to be unseparated from our God and our Savior, who loves us and gave Himself for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment