Friday, April 5, 2013

lots of prestige


Written by Matt Lange

Read Ecclesiastes 9 and I Timothy 6

The lot is cast into the lap but its every decision is from the Lord.... Prov. 16:33

During our conversation tonight my bride asked me a question. "Do you ever get tired of being a custodian?" "Wouldn't it be nice if you had a little more... prestige?"

Now as innocent as this question was regarding our conversation it brought us into a more interesting line of thought. Why do we feel we should be concerned with our title? Why is it that we think our title at work makes us important? Why do we look down on someone for having a job that is lower than we think we would want? Of course other questions come to mind but the thought process that followed these questions is what I want to share with you.

Is our lot in life to be held in high esteem with our peers or to make a lot of money? I have never been in a highly esteemed position at work, nor do I really care to be. It is not important to me what others think about my position. I would rather think that my lot is designated to me by the Lord Jesus to give me opportunity to share with others the pride in doing what many people would not. Work with integrity and joy knowing that people are watching who will eventually ask about my attitude in a thankless job.

Our lot in life is to be available for the Lord Jesus to use in whatever way He sees fit. Our perspective of how important we think we are or how horrible our lives are, usually get in the way of our lot. We whine about the smallest of things. There is always something we can find to be unhappy about. Have you ever known someone who is negative most of their waking hours? I often wonder what they have to be so miserable about? Basically they have not figured out their lot and if they have are not happy with it.

Sometimes one might wonder what they have done wrong because they don't "measure up". They don't seem to "catch a break.”

I can look back through my life and even in my current circumstance and see my lot has been worth the trip. As the Lord has guided me along, I find joy in how my lot has brought me in touch with so many people. My lot is to live my life worthy of the Gospel of Christ. What better lot could I have?

Thanks a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment