Friday, May 3, 2013

am I attractive?


Written by Matt Lang

Read Isaiah 53 and Matthew 27

“He had no form or majesty that we should look at Him, and no beauty that we should desire Him.” Isaiah 53:2.

Nothing speaks to the evil of man’s heart like a bomb killing innocent people. On the other hand, nothing creates heroes like that same explosion. People come to the aid of strangers for no other reason than the fact they are human. Such acts of horror and goodness are not limited to those who do or don’t believe in God. These people on either side of evil do not care about what religion you belong to or the color of your skin. It doesn't matter what your background is or where you live. Evil has no discrimination.

So in that light, I present a question that haunts followers of Christ. While believing there is no kinder, more loving Savior than our Lord Jesus, what is there about ourselves that would make others want the Lord for themselves? How do we personally attract others to Christ? This is not a question of conversion, it is about attraction. After all conversion is not our job, it’s the job of the Holy Spirit.

When I was a young man I would look to see if a girl was attractive. There had to be something to special about her, something that stood out. As a husband I still appreciate when my wife looks and dresses nice. I believe that God also appreciates what is attractive. “And God saw all that He had made and it was very good” Genesis 1:31

It is no secret that I love to fish. As my son grew, I taught him everything I know about fishing. How to find the right weed cover, time of day, current flow, lure, speed to work it, size of bait, pocket of weeds to find. Each lake and day presented a different experience or challenge on how to catch fish. You had to adjust as the day went on. As a hunter there is an appreciation for the appearance of what you kill (harvest for the politically correct). The size, shape, color or even how they protect themselves are all things of attraction.

Attraction is a regular part of our lives. I’ve heard people say, "Looks are not important to me". I laugh to myself when I hear this. Sometimes I laugh out loud. Unless we are dead, or deeply depressed, part of being human is being drawn to what is attractive.

If we are normal, we spend time and effort to make ourselves attractive to others. We gussy up  for a job interview, a date, a wedding, a reunion or even a funeral. Then we get married and some of us suddenly forget to try to look attractive. As I go out the door my wife says to me, "You’re not wearing that are you?”
.
So how do you attract others to God? When the Lord Jesus was here on this earth we read, “He had no form or majesty that we should look at Him, and no beauty that we should desire Him.” Isaiah 53:2.

So how do we attract others to this God?

Inquiring minds want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment