Monday, May 6, 2013

too weird?


Written by Matt Lange

Romans 8:38-39
"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

We live in a world of self gratification, selfishness, lack of discipline and respect. We see evidence of these things all around us and sometimes in our own homes. I find myself more often than not talking to the car in front of me because the person is not driving right (at least in my mind). I shake my head at how others think... because they don't think like me! I certainly would never wear those kinds of clothes or do that to my hair. Who needs another hole in their head by paying for someone to add jewelry? Expression through the form of tattoos are certainly for people on drugs or the worthless life forms.

How often we have judged others for the decisions they make for their lives.

I am reminded by these words from Romans that nothing can separate us from the love of God. So, because this is true, should I let how someone looks, smells or what they do keep me from letting them see how God has changed my heart? After all, how how are my externals really so different from them?

I had a father tell me one time that I needed to tell his son that having a piercing was stupid. I responded by letting this father know, about the son, I didn't care if he wanted another hole in his head. It hasn't changed who he is.

Over the last two years I have struggled and fought on some days just to stay upright and moving. Some days I have used a cane, walker or even a wheelchair. People have given me "the look". When someone is in any way different, we have crazy thoughts or react weird.

Imagine how many crazy things Jesus while He walked on our planet. Yet He was always ready to share Himself with anyone--no matter how they looked or smelled. No matter their lifestyle. No matter how many demons were in control of them.

Are we?

No comments:

Post a Comment