Saturday, March 9, 2013

loving kindness


Read Genesis 34 and Luke 10

For the Lord, the Lord, a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness, keeping steadfast love for thousands. Exodus 34: 6 & 7

I don’t have good luck. I was putting a new license plate on my car yesterday and the screw dropped to the garage floor. The screw only dropped 13 inches, but I knew I’d have a hard time finding it. So I got down on my knees, pulled off my glasses and inch by inch I systematically looked for the screw within the dirt and grime of the winter snow. After ten minutes, I was about to go back to our house to find another screw, but, as I was getting up, to my amazement, I spotted the screw. I could not believe my good luck and I thanked the Lord profusely.

Earlier today I received a call letting me know I had been hired for the first (and only) job I’ve interviewed for in 32 years.

At the beginning of January, I had been terminated from my job for the past 32 years. I had been expecting it. Actually, I had been expecting to get fired almost every day, for 32 years. I start my new job at 8 am on Monday morning. I will be happy to be back at work.

I suspect this new job won’t work out. But who knows.

I tend to expect the worst, but somehow the Lord keeps making a way.  

A few years back, Moses did not have a good day. When he climbed down from Mt Sinai, he came upon the Israelites in an orgy of idolatry. God told Moses He couldn’t stick around any longer because in His holiness He would break out against the Israelites. But God made a way. He has a way of making a way because of all His qualities, His loving kindness trumps all.

Of the parables, my favorite is “the good Samaritan.” If I had been the victim I would have thought, “I knew this was going to happen. But I do wish there weren’t so many people walking by. It is so embarrassing, lying here in a heap.” But then, who could believe it, some guy comes by and totally takes care of everything. Talk about a good day!

When I got fired I could not believe how the Lord's people were so kind and generous to us. It made, and makes me want to weep.

The hymn keeps going through my mind:
He saw me ruined by the fall
Yet loved me not withstanding all
He saved me from my lost estate
His loving kindness, oh how great!
Loving kindness, Loving kindness
His loving kindness oh how great

Because I will be back to work, I could use a lot of help on this daily devotional blog. So far Eric Varghese, Stephanie Varghese, Daniel Triestman, John Messerly, Bill Howell and Matt Lange have each contributed one devotional to the blog. I'm really hoping each will continue to contribute. If "each day in the word" has touched your mind and your heart, would you be willing to contribute a meditation? Send it to our e-mail: larnrox@basicisp.net. The readership appears to be growing. It started out at about 20 hits a day. Now it is over 60. Some people tell me they hit the blog about once a week and read everything at once.

The Lord is good. His mercy, His loving kindness is new every morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment