Saturday, March 16, 2013

questions about God


Read Exodus 37 and I Peter 1

The cherubim spread out their wings above, overshadowing the mercy seat with their wings, with their faces one to another towards the mercy seat were the faces of the cherubim. Exodus 37:9
It was revealed to them that they were not serving themselves but you in the things that have been announced to you through those who preach the good news to you..things into which angels long to look into. I Peter 1:12

There are a whole lot of things that I do not understand about God. I don’t understand why some people learn about Him and thus trust Him and accept the Lord Jesus as their personal Savior, and some people never learn much at all about Him. I don’t understand how the Lord Jesus could be a total human being, while at the same time being the eternal and infinite God. I can’t quite fit together God’s kindness with pain and old age. I am totally flummoxed as to why God gives us frail and bewildered humans such attention. I know there are answers to my questions, but I sort of think I might not be bright enough to understand those answers.

But I’m pretty sure that angels are really smart. One would think that if there is anything out there to be figured out, angels would have the capacity to understand it.

On the ark of the covenant there are two cherubim, their heads together, looking intently looking down at the mercy seat.  Why are they looking at it so intently? Are they trying so hard to comprehend it? Is this the artistic image of what Peter writes that angels long to look into?

The mercy seat speaks of propitiation, of atonement. That means, the mercy seat speaks of sins covered over, and of the one who sins receiving mercy. As beings very close to God, cherubim understand all about righteousness and holiness. We are told in Acts and in Hebrews that angels were the ones who delivered the law to us. But it may be beyond the comprehension of angels to understand how the Lord could forgive us humans who have all fallen so short of His glory.

I found a new job recently. Not my last boss, but the one previous, wrote an amazing letter of recommendation for me. Today the man who hired me said it was because of that recommendation that I now have a job. I was about to explain to him that perhaps this letter did not give the whole picture of who I am, but I know that he will soon figure that out for himself. I  wish I was as good as the letter said I was. I wish I was just a better person. But I do know that, “God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ.” Ephesians 2: 4&5.

I don’t think the angels can quite figure that out, though they are very interested.

I can’t figure it out either. Nor can I figure out a whole lot of other things, though I also am very interested. So, if the angels can live with questions, I guess I can too.

Question: What are your questions about God? Do they hold you back for appreciated Him for who He is?


No comments:

Post a Comment