Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Eloi Eloi lema sabachthani III

My greatest concern is to be rejected--to have people look at me and turn their heads in disdain.
That's why, if my friends and church fellowship wouldn't find it offensive, I would wear a cross.
I would like to have something to remind me every day that what others think of myself is a distraction from what is good, from what the Lord would have for me to do.
Nothing speaks of rejection like the cross. What suffering could be so deliberate, so humiliating and so public?
The Lord Jesus said that if we choose to follow Him, we need to deny ourselves and take up our cross daily--that means to embrace rejection! 
The Lord Jesus was even willing to be rejected by God (how can that be?) that not His own will, but His Father's will be done.
Curiously, such an exercise of disregarding the evaluations of others, gives us the vision and the ability to be mindful of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment