Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Eloi, Eloi, Lema Sabachthani VIII

Nothing is sweeter than seeing a small child in his mother's arms, patting her and saying, “My mommy, my mommy.”

We're not very far along into our lives when we start becoming possessive. Sometimes that is not a good thing. If we feel something belongs to us, we are inclined not to want to share it. But it is such a good thing when our possessiveness is in our relationships. All of us need to know that certain special people totally belong to us, like our mom and dad, and our siblings and grandparents, and our friends, and our spouse. And then our own children.

When the Lord Jesus cried out, “Eloi, Eloi, Lema, Sabachthani” (My God, my God, why hast Thou forsaken me), some of the bystanders were confused by what He said, even though He said, “Eloi” twice. They knew He was calling out to someone special and they figured that maybe it was Elijah. I wonder, could they not understand Someone so possessive of God?

Our Lord's cry on the cross was not one merely of despair. It was a cry from the One to the One who so completely belonged to Him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment