Friday, September 12, 2014

I thirst VII

The Lord Jesus did not make many requests for Himself--only three that I can recall. He asked His disciples to watch and stay awake with Him in the garden of Gethsemene, and twice he asked for a drink: once from the Samaritan woman and once while on the cross.

I'm not often thirsty. Like most other people I know, I always have a cup or a bottle of water or pop within reach. But for some odd reason, when my wife and I  hiked down the Grand Canyon, we knew we didn't bring enough water. The day started out cool and we had to be careful to not slip on the snow. But on the way back up, the sun was out with a vengeance. We did our best not to look too enviously at the water bottles of the other hikers we saw on the trail. But when we were nearly to the top, we saw a lady carrying in each hand a gallon jug of water and attached to her belt were at least a dozen full water bottles. The poor lady was nearly the victim of a crime, but somehow we managed to restrain ourselves. We considered asking her for some water, but I figured that one who had so much would not be likely to share.

Our Lord who had so much, made Himself so poor that He had to ask others just for a drink of water. But by His poverty He has made us rich, giving us living water that springs up to eternal life.
And all who come to Him need never thirst again.

No comments:

Post a Comment