Saturday, September 13, 2014

Into Your hands I commit my spirit I

I am thankful for the four gospel accounts. In Matthew and Mark, the only words we read of Christ on the cross were, "My God, my God, why hast Thou forsaken me." In John, the last words recorded of our Lord on the cross was, "It is finished." But then in Luke, we read, Then Jesus, crying out in a loud voice, said, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." And having said that, He breathed his last. 

Some Bible students wonder which account is the "correct" one.

I was once a newspaper reporter. I know regardless how exacting I was in reporting a story, certain people who saw the same event that I reported on were sure that I had gotten my facts mixed up. At times, of course, they were correct. I made a mistake. But at other times, I saw certain things they did not see. Or, I simply did not include certain bits of information into the story that they thought were important, but I did not find necessary to include in my article.

As I accept by faith that all the words included within our Scriptures are accurate, it causes me not to wonder at all how John and Luke reported two different things as the last words of our Lord. I do not find it confusing to understand that the Jesus said both: "It is finished"; and "Father, into your hands I commend my spirit." (Or perhaps He said it the other way around.)

Both statements are very meaningful, especially within the context of each Gospel.

The Gospel of Luke emphasizes our Lord's kind interactions with His fellow human beings. The last thing Luke reports of what Jesus said is leaving the realm of humanity and returning to His father in heaven.

The Gospel of John emphasizes our Lord's authority as the One sent from God to be our Savior. "Mission accomplished," He proclaimed from the cross. "It is finished."

No comments:

Post a Comment