Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Sermon on the Mount --goodbye, for now

He was teaching them as one who had authority, and not as their scribes

I would sure like to know what the Lord Jesus looked like.  For the past two millennium, artists have tried to figure it out. I’m pretty sure that none of the portraits I’ve seen of Him have even come close.

From Isaiah 53 we are told, He had no form or majesty that we should look at Him, and no beauty that we should desire him. I think that means He was not well proportioned, had certain facial features that were overly large or small, sort of walked funny. In other words, He looked about the same as most of us.

But though His looks may have been common, His words were magnificent.

I am so thankful for the Sermon on the Mount. Our Lord speaks to us just like we were adults. Everything He said could easily be misconstrued, but, regardless, He spoke terribly thought provoking truth. He tells us we need to rethink everything we’ve learned and thought we understood.

Also, He talks to us as if we are not totally incapable. He tells us we need to repent, and reform, and trust, and be honest and kind, and, of all things, to be perfect, as your Father in Heaven is perfect.


For those of you who have been reading our daily blog, Daniel and I say thank-you. We have both found this blog to be a good personal spiritual exercise. But, it’s awfully nice to know when we write something, there are some real people out there who may be reading it, some of whom maybe have even benefited from it.

When we started this blog, we said we would write 100 words for 100 days on the Sermon on the Mount. Most days we wrote more than 100 words, and I’m pretty sure we have blogged for more than 100 days.

Some day we do plan to blog again, Lord willing.


1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed these and looked forward to reading them every morning! Great thoughts and can't wait for the next series :) I found this shortly after we moved here to Germany, and they were a blessing (and often a challenge). Sorry for not commenting earlier...it scares me to publish on the inter-webs but I sure appreciate those who do!

    ReplyDelete