Thursday, January 23, 2014

Sermon on the Mount-- I never knew you



On that day many will say to me, Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and cast out demons in your name, and do many things in your name. And then I will declare to them, “I never knew you.”

I had a friend in college who was involved in an evangelistic work where many amazing things happened. The Lord’s gracious hand was manifest day after day.

A number of years later I was talking with this friend. He recounted those days and the miraculous events. “But you know as well as I do,” he said to me, “it’s all a bunch of nonsense.”

How could this man who had once been a dynamic believer become so sure of his disbelief?

I think it was because, first and foremost, this man believed in himself. 

When his belief in God contradicted his belief in himself, he chose to believe in himself, despite the evidence.

Our Lord is so good. He has made it so He can be seen, and He can be known. But He also permits us to disregard Him when we give all regard to ourselves. Then, at some point, perhaps on the Last Day, He will say, “I never knew you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment