Monday, January 27, 2014

Sermon on the Mount-- the Rock

Everyone who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house upon a rock.
Everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house upon the sand.

For many years I have been preaching a misunderstanding of this parable. To anyone who would listen, I would explain that the rock is hearing the words of the Lord Jesus and then doing what He says, just as the sand is hearing the words of the Lord Jesus and not doing what He says.

Curiously, no one has contradicted me.

I think that may be because I came to the right conclusion as to the meaning of the parable, but the wrong interpretation of the metaphor of the rock.

Over 20 times in the Psalms, and several times in Isaiah, God is referred to as a rock. Both the Apostles Paul and Peter write of prophetic references to the Lord Jesus from Isaiah and the Psalms which speak of the Rock (Rom 9:23, I Cor 10:4 and I Pet 2:8).


Clearly our Lord Jesus, who is God, is the Rock. But the point of the parable is, we can say all we want about how much we love and worship the Lord Jesus; but if we do not obey Him, we cannot claim Him to be our Rock and we thus live our lives precariously.

No comments:

Post a Comment