Wednesday, December 18, 2013

sermon on the mount --not in your own earthly interest

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

A favorite exercise at Bible camp is to ask the campers: If you were arrested for being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict?

I think of what defense I could raise to prevent a conviction.

The prosecutor might use my blogs as evidence.

“I’m a writer,” I’d explain.” Talk to anyone who claims to be a writer—as long as we’re writing something, anything, we’re happy.”

If the prosecutor brought in witnesses to whom I had witnessed, I’d tell the judge, “Everyone likes to sell stuff. Whether it’s cars, Amway, vitamins or salvation, there’s the thrill of closing the sale.”

“But he goes to church anytime the doors are open,” the prosecutor might say.

“It’s my social life. Without church I’d have no friends.”

The prosecutor might then give one final point of evidence. “I’m not saying it’s a lot, but this guy gives his money, hard cold cash, to people and for things that are clearly not in his own interest.”


I know there are many people who are not Christians that give generously, but I still would have to concede this point. For me, giving is tough. Everything else provides its own gratification.   

No comments:

Post a Comment