Monday, December 16, 2013

sermon on the mount --prudent investments

Do not lay up for yourselves treasure on earth where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal.

I may be wrong, especially as I have no Scripture to back this up; but I believe I am responsible to act prudently with my money.  Since my company has set up a matching 401K program, I think I am right in  taking advantage of it, not only my own sake, but also for my wife and for my children.

But here’s something I do know for sure; earthly retirement plans are precarious. My grandfather put most of his money in a retirement village that went bankrupt. My father entrusted his retirement with a gentleman who spent five years in prison for embezzling.  Our next-door neighbor had his money in an investment  fund that disappeared without a trace.

In each case, the Lord took care of them despite their prudent retirement planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment