Friday, December 27, 2013

Sermon on the Mount --wealthiness

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven...be not anxious about your life.

An anxious man is a poor man. A man may have everything, but if that everything also includes anxiety, that man knows he is needy, in need of a remedy, in need of someone to save him.

Our Lord's Sermon on the Mount is a profound mix of paradoxes. First He tells us the blessedness of being poor. Then He tells us not to be anxious because our reality is that we are so rich, having the Father that we have.


When I am anxious, my desire for my Savior is without qualification. Only in my emptiness, in my sense of neediness, do I truly strive to be with the One who can give real peace and thus real wealth.  

No comments:

Post a Comment