Thursday, November 28, 2013

sermon on the mount --remember

For your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.

As a kid, my favorite Old Testament story was Elijah taunting the prophets of Baal: “Shout really loud,”  said Elijah. “Maybe he’s thinking, or relieving himself, or maybe he’s asleep and must be awaken.”

As a kid I knew that my God was Elijah’s God. And what a response Elijah got from God!

But it’s been a long time since I’ve been a kid.

The Psalmist cried out, “Awake! Why are you sleeping, O Lord. Why do you hide your face and forget our affliction?”

Sometimes I feel like that. Sometimes I feel taunted like Baal’s prophets.

Then I remember how time after time , how prayer after prayer God has answered, so specifically and so graciously.


“Be still,” I tell my soul. “Be still and remember His mercies, new every morning.”

LR

No comments:

Post a Comment